Thursday 8 January 2015

Going Green in 2015!!!!

I said I wasn't going to create another blog just to talk about this!!!

 Lucky you I can be a lying liarface. But this blog will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow!!!

So on with the show:

No, I'm NOT going to try for zero waste. It's just really not something I can get my life to right now. Maybe someday. MAYBE. (Probably not) Right now I'm just trying to be Better.
Week 1: BAGS!!! The obvious place to start! (or at least that seems to be the first tip everyone (including the Zero Waste blogs I've discovered and fallen in LOVE with!) hands out.

So.... Jan. 1 I went shopping! Context: I was ILL. I was on my way home from my Mum's and needed to pick up TWO things. Except I was near the good Giant...and I didn't want to go back out again... and I hadn't gone shopping because of the holidays and had no food in my house... So I did my full shopping. I figured I would just skip the plastic bags and shove it all creatively into my car! Except then the cashier told me she'd have to sticker everything...(reminder: ILL.) I could barely lean on my cart, so waiting for everything to get stickered was Not Going To Happen... So I asked for paper bags- I can put my paper recycling in them! And the cashier and bagger dutifully bagged everything in paper bags - which they then put into plastic bags... sigh.

 First day fail.

 But THIS week: I went to the grocery store WITH my bags (because I'm now making an effort to keep them in my car instead of the laundry room...) I also brought some old tupperware...just in case! and Salmon was on sale!!! I asked the gentleman at the seafood counter if he could just plop the salmon into my little tupperware - not only was he more than happy to do so, he walked me up to the checkout when I had finished my shopping just to make sure that I didn't have any problems at the register! :-D The cashier was totally fine with it AND took my broccoli out of my little canvas bag because he didn't want me to charge me for the extra weight that wouldn't have registered with the flimsy plastic produce bags!

 So I call that a win!

Bags in car? Check. Fresh tupperware? Check. To do: Make more canvas produce bags. See you next week! (I promise to make the place look nice by then ^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment